Surplus Goods and Equipment

The University has a wealth of surplus goods ranging from file cabinets, furniture, computer monitors, keyboards and other miscellaneous equipment for department purposes.

Departments, if you have an item you wish to surplus, we'll help you take care of it. If you're looking for something, contact us; we may have what you're looking for in our surplus building.

Surplus Must Go Items

IT Solutions Service Desk cannot provide surplus monitors, keyboards, mouse, or other peripherals. Those equipment are provided by Facilities Management Surplus.

How to Dispose of Surplus Property

State property, even though it may no longer be suitable for use by the University, remains "state property" and must be disposed of in accordance with University procedures. When departments have identified an item for surplus they should:

Step 1

Complete a Surplus Tag (PDF) and attach it to the item. Be sure to include the fixed asset number on the form and keep a copy of the Surplus Tag for your records.

Step 2

Determine whether the item is for IT Solutions or Delivery Services.

Computer hard drives and computers that have data storage capability

You must contact IT Solutions Center 507-389-6654 or use the Submit a Ticket. IT Services will "scrub" these devices. Computer-related surplus items which have fixed asset tags are identified by IT Solutions and the information forwarded to University Stores so the item can be deleted from state inventory records.

Furniture and Other Equipment

Complete the Surplus Property Pick-up form, which will be sent electronically to Delivery Services. Delivery Services will then schedule the pick-up. Surplus items which have fixed asset tags are identified by University Stores and deleted from state inventory records.

Surplus Property Pick-Up Form

Under no circumstances are surplus items to be left in hallways or put in dumpsters. Secure all surplus items until either IT Services or Delivery Services can pick them up.

Leaving discarded personal property on Minnesota State Mankato campus is prohibited.


Per MinnState Procedure 7.3.13 Surplus Personal Property / Building Disposal, the system office, a college, or a university shall sell, trade in (if item has a value), give away, or destroy surplus personal property that is no longer useful. The system office, college, or university shall take the following steps for disposal of surplus personal property.

Please read the policy for complete details.

State Surplus Sites


Minnesota Public Surplus