Initiate a Contract
To ensure the contract is fully signed before work begins, start the steps below at least 4-6 weeks prior to work beginning. Legal review, software agreements and other various contracts takes time to process and route through the electronic signature process.
Guest Lecturers, Performers, Other Low-Risk Services
How to Initiate a Contract
Step 1 - Create a Purchase Order
- A vendor number is necessary in order to prepare a purchase order.
- Create Purchase Order
Processing a Purchase Order does not initiate a contract.
Purchase Order assistance - contact Business Services at 507-389-5017.
Step 2 - Initiate a Contract
- Complete the Contract Form (PDF) and submit to Finance and Administration at WA238 or email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Contract Form must be completed to initiate a contract.
- Worker Classification Questions. If a worker/independent contractor contract is over a week and/or ongoing throughout the year and is not a Guest Lecturer/Speaker, Referee/Athletic Official, S-Corp or C-Corp, please submit the following Worker Classification Question form (PDF).
- Contracts must be fully signed by all parties and fully executed before any work or services begin to comply with Minnesota Statutes 16A.15. If work begins prior to a contract being fully signed, you are in violation of this Statute and a 16A.15 form (PDF) will be sent to you for completion. 16A violation forms are kept on file and are subject to review by internal and legislative audit. Form (PDF).
- For assistance to initiate a contract, contact Diane Huettl, Office of Finance & Administration at 507-389-6623 or email email@example.com.
Step 3 - Complete the payment process
- For individuals or companies who do not provide their own invoice, a CS1441 (PDF) substitute form must be completed. Upon completion of services, the form must be signed by both the authorized department approver and the vendor. Please forward the completed form to Business Services (WA236).
- All invoices must include a purchase order number, the dates of service and a summary of services provided.
- Checks will be mailed to the company or individual after work is completed. No check will be processed for pickup unless it is a requirement of the company or individual.
- For assistance in processing payments, please contact Business Services at 507-389-2369 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Things to Keep in Mind
We will be converting from a paper process to an electronic signature process by June 30, 2020.
- The contract will be an electronic signature process
- A fully executed Contract and PO are required before any services begin
- Once a Draft contract is created, the contract approval process will be done via email from SciQuest. A signature email will come from DocuSign once the Draft is finalized
Delegation of Authority
Only authorized personnel with an approved Delegation of Authority (on file with the Finance & Administration Office) may sign contracts obligating Minnesota State University, Mankato. Currently, Richard Straka, Vice President of Finance & Administration, is authorized to sign contractual obligations up to $100,000.00. Richard Davenport, President, signs obligations of $100,000.00 and above along with an authorized approval from the Office of the Chancellor (the Contracts Office will obtain).
Funds must be encumbered prior to the contract’s start date or final signature (whichever occurs later). Funds are encumbered on the Accounting System when a Purchase Order number has been generated
Amendments/Addendums will not be initiated if an invoice is submitted for more than the contracted amount. Please calculate contracted dollar amounts carefully. To initiate an amendment/addendum, please email email@example.com.
Hiring a State Employee or Student
- If you would like to hire a State employee, please contact the Human Resources Office.
- If you would like to hire a student please see the Student Payroll website.
Submit one Contract Form for services needed not to exceed five years.
Service Construction Contracts
Service Construction Contracts are initiated with Jill Rollings in Facilities Management. Examples of Service Construction Contracts would include but are not limited to on-campus installations and repairs. Service Contracts with a value of $50,000.00 or more will require a Request for Proposal process.
Thank you for your assistance in helping Minnesota State University, Mankato comply with Minnesota State Policies.