Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a need for an Office of Radiation Safety?

The Office of Radiation Safety is needed for the purpose of communicating, both internal and external, the needs and requirements for the safe use of radiation.

Can anyone at Minnesota State University, Mankato use radioactive materials?

No. The only people that are able to use radioactive material on campus are authorized users who are trained and listed on the MSUM Dept. of Health issued Radioisotope Bi-Products License. Others may use the radioactive materials under the DIRECT supervision of and authorized user.

How do I become an Authorized User?

The only way to become an authorized user on campus is to have the Office of Radiation Safety submit a request to the Minnesota Department of Health.

Does the Office of Radiation Safety have a Radon detection program?

No. Radon information can be found at the