Family Change

General Information

If you are getting married, divorced or have a change to the number of dependents you claim, please review the following information regarding benefits, taxes, and beneficiary designations.

To view information about a particular topic, click the applicable link from the list on the left.

Change In Marital Status

Status and Name Change

Please schedule an appointment with the Human Resources department to change your name. This process requires you to present an updated Social Security Card to Human Resources (WA 336).

Name Change Appointment at Minnesota State University, Mankato

To change your marital status, schedule an appointment with the Human Resources department.

Address Change

If you are changing your address, please schedule an appointment with the Human Resources department.

Note: We cannot change your name in our payroll system until you have changed it with Social Security, so you may have to submit a name change separately after you have filed the change with Social Security.

Health and Dental - Dependant Coverage

Add or Drop Dependent(s)

If you want to add or remove family members from your medical and/or dental coverage, complete the Application to Change Insurance Coverage form available from MMB.

Life Insurance - Spouse

To apply for Spouse Life Insurance complete the "Application for Optional Coverage" available from MMB.

You may add up to $10,000 without evidence of good health if you apply within 30 days of the marriage. Any amount over $10,000 or after 30 days, you must answer the spouse health questionnaire.

If you want to update your life insurance beneficiary designation, please visit the Minnesota Life website.

Retirement Beneficiary Designations

If you want to update your retirement plan beneficiary designations, contact only the plans in which you have retirement savings:

For questions contact Human Resources at 507-389-2015 or Email:

Tax Withholdings

If you want to change your tax withholding status, you can do that on the Employee Self-Service web site, Lock icon.

Click on Other Payroll and W4 and MWR to bring up your current withholding status and enter the changes you wish to make.