State vehicles may be used for state travel by University faculty, staff and students.
MinnState Approved Procedures (PDF)
Additional University Guidelines:
- All drivers of Minnesota State University, Mankato vehicles must complete the Vehicle Consent Agreement.
- Minnesota State Mankato vehicles may be driven by students if they are on official University business with departmental approval and have an approved rating on their Vehicle Use Consent Form.
- A CAO-38 form will be submitted to the driver for each state vehicle reservation in a state vehicle key pack at the time of pick up. Submit the beginning and ending mileage on this form along with any comments or concerns that you may have on the state vehicle that was assigned to you.
- A personal vehicle may be parked in the Minnesota State Mankato Parking Lot 17 stall which is reserved for the state vehicle that has been reserved for you. If additional passengers have personal vehicles they must follow standard Minnesota State University parking guidelines.
- State vehicles may park in Purple stalls without a Purple permit.
- State vehicles may park in Gold stalls if you display your personal Gold permit within the state vehicle.
- Driver and passengers should wear safety seat belts at all times.
- Do not "text" and drive!
- Observe the speed limit at all times while driving your assigned state vehicle.
- Traffic violations are the responsibility of the personal recipient. The University does not pay for personal traffic violations.
- We do receive calls from concerned taxpaying public when they see Minnesota State Mankato vehicles exceeding the speed limit or not properly representing the State of Minnesota during vehicle usage. Please be cautious and respectful of your driving behavior at all times.
- Avoid side-trips. The Facilities Services Office will assist you on the best trip route upon your request.
- Smoking is prohibited in all state vehicles.
- No alcoholic beverages or containers are allowed within our state vehicles.
- Vehicles should be returned with a full tank of gas. A number of our state owned vehicles are designed for the usage of E-85 fuel, when permissible fuel these dedicated vehicles with E-85. If a fuel station does not carry E-85 fuel, unleaded fuel may be used to fuel the state vehicle.
- Do not use state vehicle fuel cards for improper or personal purchase.
- Return state vehicles trash free. The following customer will appreciate your efforts.
- Pick up and return state vehicles at the designated times requested. Improper usage of a state vehicle conflicts with the following customers schedule and will initiate an additional charge to your department.
- Accidents happen. If accident damage is substantial with concerns of safe drivability of vehicle or a second party is involved call the local police department, or 911 for assistance. Minnesota State Mankato Security, 389-2111, should be notified also. If an accident happens on Minnesota State Mankato property call Minnesota State Mankato Security at 389-2111 first, they will notify the Mankato Police if necessary. Report all minor accidents, scrapes, bumps, etc., immediately upon return of your trip with the state vehicle. Our automotive mechanics and contracted body repair vendor will follow through the appropriate procedure for automotive repairs. State of Minnesota collision insurance provides sufficient coverage for such repairs. A vehicle procedures manual is stored in each state vehicle's glove compartment which assists with accident protocol.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato state owned vehicles are for University faculty, staff and students on university business. Transporting of other personnel, such as friends, or family members is prohibited within state vehicles.
- Installation or usage of radar-detection device in a state vehicle is prohibited.
- Modifications to a state vehicle is prohibited. This includes bike racks, luggage racks, ski racks, etc.
- State vehicles are not allowed to attach or tow personal trailers or equipment.
Personal Vehicle Use